Bangor City Ladies 2 – 1 Blaenau Ffestiniog

Bangor City Ladies 2 – 1 Blaenau Ffestiniog Bangor played host to Blaenau Ffestiniog for the 1st home match of the league at Llangefni on Saturday. Following an emphatic away win last weekend, Bangor were fielding a somewhat different side this time, by missing some key players, and welcoming two debuting players to the side and the league, namely Jodie Smith and Myfanwy Wilson aka Miffy, who also went on to be awarded player of the match following some deft and determined play throughout the match. Rhian Culley, normally the strong left-winger, took on the mantle as Captain and Keeper for the match, and went on to be named player’s player for some nifty save making throughout. It was an uncharacteristically scrappy start from Bangor, added to by the confusion of both teams wearing a blue kit. The umpire called a time-out just 5 minutes in for the away team to come back on the pitch, donning red bibs. This seemed to settle both teams into the flow of the match once play resumed. Bangor steadily began opening up as the match commenced, with most of the possession and attempts on goal coming from launched attacks left, right and centre, from Elin Evans, Ffion Roberts, Miffy and Gwenno Evans. There were a few missed attempts on goal from both open play and short corners. The 1st goal arrived midway through the 1st half, when Rhiannon Morgan made one of her class runs to a waiting Judith Williams within the predominantly unmarked ‘D’ for a reverse stick deflection into the goal. 1 – 0 at half time. 2nd half saw the sun make an appearance and a certain Gwenno Evans surging into the ‘D’ within 5 minutes to nail one past the keeper. This encouraged Blaenau to turn up the heat, and showed some attacking tricks of their own through much of the half, with the fast paced Blaenau Captain, Jess Kavanagh managing to drive the ball past the ever indefatigable defenders, Siobhan Johnson, Katie B, Menna Jones and finally the keeper, to bring the score to 2 – 1. The heat seemed to take its toll on both teams nearing the end of the match. Carol ‘Bown’ Williams came off with a pulled calf muscle and the remaining players battled on with some red faces and fatigue kicking in, providing some errors and sluggish play on the ball. Nevertheless, Bangor managed to hang on to the lead and the final whistle, to secure 3 points and the top spot in the division table.